Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Friendship Bread


I've always loved banana bread.  In college, my dear friend and roommate of three years, Jessica, would return from weekend trips home with banana bread, made fresh by her mother, Ms. Gavin.  It was absolutely delicious.  Every time I've had it since graduating from college, it takes me back to sitting at the kitchen table in our loft with my cherished friends and a slice of banana bread. 

On Sunday, I decided I would try making it for the first time, so I needed a trustworthy recipe.  One of my grandmother's closest friends was Mrs. Martha Guinn, and I have a cookbook with many of her recipes in it.  Mrs. Martha, my grandmother, and their friend, Mrs. Cora Gene Miller, were the best of friends and taught me a lot about the kind of friend and cook I would like to be!  They truly embodied Southern hospitality and grace.

Here is Mrs. Martha's recipe for banana bread.
Ingredients: 
1 1/2 Cups of Sugar

2 Eggs

Stick of Butter

2 Cups of Flour

2 Large Bananas (1 Cup when Mashed)

1/4 Cup Buttermilk

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt, 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder, 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
(mixed with flour)
The Mixer makes it easier!

The Recipe

Just Out of the Oven!
  I hope you'll try it and share it with friends!

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this post and thinking back to our kitchen table chats at the LOFT...and an occasional slice of banana bread made it that much sweeter. :)

    ReplyDelete