Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy 4th!

4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays.  My grandmother, who we called "Ooma", hosted 4th of July picnics in her front yard each year.  Our extended family and the entire neighborhood attended.  The day was complete with delicious barbecue, homemade ice cream of many flavors, face painting, fireworks, pinatas, and extremely competitive relay races.  We approached the day as if it was the Olympics, and plastic gold and silver medals were the coveted prizes.  Being athletically-challenged and having a very competitive nature were not always a good combination.  On that day, I learned how to be a good sport.  In fact, I learned a lot at these 4th of July picnics - the importance of celebrating a country I love, spending quality time with family and friends, and establishing cherished family traditions.  I have Ooma to thank for that. 

I'm looking forward to establishing our own family traditions for the 4th of July.  I'm starting off the weekend with a walk around the block with our much-loved chocolate lab, Huck...



Followed by fish tacos (fish caught by David) with Avocado and Mango Salsa from one of my favorite blogs:  http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/avocado-and-mango-salsa.html

Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend with family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment