Saturday, July 23, 2011

Charleston - Place that I Love

It feels good to have a lazy Saturday at home.  We had a wonderful time in Charlotte and Charleston.  Betsy and Dan's wedding was beautiful in every way.  I hope they're enjoying their honeymoon in St. John!  Here are a few pictures from the wedding:




After the wedding, we rented a car and headed to Charleston.  We stayed at the Vendue Inn and would highly recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Charleston.  Breakfast is included, and it's not a breakfast bar with little boxes of cereal and muffins in plastic wrappers - they have white table cloths and a deluxe menu.  Then, at 4 each day, they have happy hour with wine, cheese, and fruit.  And....at 9 each night, they put out fresh cookies and milk.  They truly embodied the hospitality of Charleston.

We tried to make the most of our few days there.  We ate at some great places - Poogan's Porch, Poe's, Pearlz, and Hank's and took a carriage ride and harbor tour.  David played golf at Wild Dunes, and we spent a day at the beach on Sullivan's Island.






My friend, Frances, lives in Charleston, and I was so happy it worked out for us to see each other and have a morning at the beach together.  It was great to spend time with her! 

If you love looking at beautiful homes, Charleston is the place for you.  On every corner is a gorgeous Southern-style home.  These were some of my favorites:
 I love white columns - they're so classic and Southern.
Many of the Charleston homes have beautiful architecture such as this one with round rooms on all floors.
 David said I liked this one so much because it resembles my home in Savannah.  I love the white arch over the front door.  I think I miss home!
Wouldn't it be fun to have porches upstairs and downstairs like this?
This is my absolute favorite!  It's on Sullivan's Island.  It just looks like a dream...

The summer after my senior year in college, I lived in Charleston with two friends - Jessica and Lyndsey. We decided to sublease part of this house:
 Jessica and I shared a room and had twin mattresses on the floor for beds.  In our living room, we had a blow up mattress and folding chairs.  Our makeshift living conditions made it feel even more like an adventure.  It was an amazing summer of exploring a magical city with two wonderful friends.  We made memories I will always cherish, and I think I left a little piece of my heart in Charleston.  I'm already planning our next trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment